Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Orissa fisherman has 5000 poems to credit

Published in Kalinga Times, Orissa.Byline Manoj Kar

An untaught fisherman in this coastal Orissa town has taken everybody by surprise by his brilliant composition of lyrics and poems.
Everyday 55-year-old Purnananda Dalai used to sell fish in the daily market in the heart of this town. But after the daybreak, the fish seller embarks on the role of an amateur writer. Very few in the literary circles are aware of creative traits of the untaught man. But the fish trader has gone unto to compile over 5000 poems, which are quite subjective, deep-felt and passionate in nature.

"He is semi literate. I am quite surprised to go through his well-written verses. He may be an amateur writer. But his creative skills that thoroughly depict social message merit recognition," remarked noted litterateur Basudev Das.

"His writings are witty, thought-provoking laced with humour. His recent composition on President Pratibha Patil and political turmoil over US nuclear deal is remarkable," Das noted. "I was deprived of formal schooling. I learnt to read and write at home. I was drawn towards writing about a decade back. It was instinctive. I was an avid reader of literature section of Oriya newspapers. Later I developed fascination towards writing," Dalai said.

"I have made it a habit to write anything on the world on a daily basis. I write and rewrite. In a week's time, I complete full-fledged composition of at least one poem."I am thinking in terms of publishing the manuscripts. But monetary constraint has been a hurdle," he concluded.

No comments: